Black Bean Soup with Cotija Cheese
- 1lb dried black beans, rinsed thoroughly, soaked overnight
- 2T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 large white onion, diced fine
- 1 bell pepper, diced fine
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 bay leaf
- 1t freshly ground black pepper
- 8c water
- 2T sherry vinegar
½c dry white wine
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 onion, diced
- 2 scallions, sliced
- 5oz (half wheel) Cotija cheese, crumbled
In a large pan, heat oil and add onions, bell pepper, and garlic. Sauté until onions are soft, about 4-5 minutes.
Add bay leaf, cumin, oregano, and fresh ground black pepper and sauté for an additional 2 minutes.
- In the pressure cooker, add ingredients from the pan. Add black beans and 8c water, sherry vinegar, wine, and salt.
- Set to "soup" for 20 minutes.
- When done, natural release for 35 minutes. Afterward, quick release until all pressure is released.
- Open. Remove bay leaf and garnish with bell peppers, onions, and crumbled Cotija cheese.