Black Bean Soup with Toasted Cumin & Cilantro
- 1 T olive oil
- 1 c onions, small dice
1 T mild or hot chili powder
1½ t whole cumin seeds
1½ t dried oregano leaves
- 7 c water
- 1 lb (2½ c) dried black beans,picked over, rinsed
- 4 oz Spanish chorizo, small dice
4 to 6 cloves garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
Sea salt to taste
- 1 large, ripe Hass avocado, diced
- 2 large plum tomatoes, seeded, small dice
⅓ c red onions, small dice
- ¼ c cilantro, small dice
- 1 jalapeño (optional), seeded, diced
- 3 T freshly squeezed lime juice
- Sea salt
- Press “SEAR” and add oil. When hot, add onions, chili powder, cumin seeds, and oregano. Sauté, stirring frequently until onions are soft, about 1 minute.
- Add water, beans, chorizo, garlic, and bay leaves.
- Place on Pressure Cooker Lid. Press “PRESSURE COOK”. Press “PROG” and use “START/ PAUSE” dial to select “Beans”. Press “TIME” and adjust for 30 minutes.
- When done, natural release for 35 minutes. Afterward, quick release remaining pressure by moving the pressure release valve to the “OPEN” position.
Carefully remove Pressure Cooker Lid when Duet has finished releasing all pressure. Stir well and remove bay leaves. Add sea salt to taste. Let the soup sit with no heat on; it will thicken.
- Just before serving, in a bowl, prepare avocado salsa by tossing all ingredients together.
- Ladle soup into bowls and top each portion with a large dollop of avocado salsa.