- 1 pound egg, challah or brioche bread, cut into 1-inch cubes
- 8 eggs, beaten
- 1 quart half and half
- ¼ cup sugar
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- ¼ teaspoon nutmeg
- Pinch of salt
- ¼ cup shelled walnuts, chopped
- ½ cup dried fruit
- 1 tablespoon butter
- In a mixing bowl, mix together half and half and eggs.
- Mix in cinnamon, salt, sugar, and nutmeg.
- Fold bread, walnuts, and fruit into egg mixture and let rest for 10 minutes.
- Set Skillet to 250ºF and add butter.
- Once melted, place bread mixture into skillet, pat down to ensure it’s even at 1½-2 inches thick and to remove all air bubbles.
- Let bread mixture sit for 1 minute, then press down again.
- Set the Skillet to 275ºF, cover with lid and cook for 45 minutes.
- Uncover Skillet and cook for additional 5 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean
Blueberries, cherries, apricots, or even dried cranberries are great fruits to use.