Chicken Tikka Masala
Medley Digital Skillet
- 1 (3-pound) chicken, cut into pieces
- ¼ cup plain whole-milk Greek style yogurt
- 2 tablespoons peanut oil, divided
- 2 teaspoons fresh lime or lemon juice
- 1 clove garlic, peeled and minced
- 5 teaspoons curry powder
- ½ teaspoon cayenne
- 1 tablespoon grated peeled fresh ginger
- 4 tablespoons unsalted butter
- 1 large white onion, finely chopped
- 1½ cups canned tomato puree
- ¾ cup water
- ½ cup heavy cream or half and half
- 1¼ teaspoons kosher salt
- ½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- ½ cup chopped fresh cilantro
- Sprigs of cilantro for garnish
- In a small bowl, whisk together the yogurt, 1 tablespoon of the peanut oil, lime juice and garlic. Add in the chicken to incorporate the marinade. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together the curry powder, cayenne, and grated ginger.
- Set Skillet to 400ºF and add 1 tablespoon peanut oil, followed by the chicken and cook for 6-8 minutes per side. Take chicken out of Skillet, let rest for at least 5 minutes and slice into 1½ inch slices.
- Set Skillet to 375ºF and add butter along with onion and cook for 5 minutes until light brown stirring frequently.
- Reduce to 275ºF and stir in the spice and ginger mixture.
- Add tomato puree, water, heavy cream, and salt and bring to a boil.
- Reduce to 250ºF and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened slightly.
- Add in chicken and continue cooking for 5 minutes. Stir in black pepper, chopped cilantro, and salt.
- Serve with Naan (Indian flatbread) or cooked basmati rice.
- Make sure chicken is 165ºF in center.