Chorizo and Chicken with Cuban Rice
- 10 chicken thighs, bone-in, skin on
¼c fresh lime juice
¼c cilantro, with stems, minced
- 2T olive oil
- 1T finely grated lime peel
- 1T chopped fresh thyme
2t chopped, seeded jalapeño chili
- 2t Hungarian sweet paprika
- 2t freshly ground black pepper
- 1t ground cumin
½t sea salt
¼t ground allspice
- 1T olive oil
½lb fully cooked Spanish chorizo, cut into
- 2c finely chopped onions
½c chopped red bell pepper
- 3 garlic cloves, chopped
- 2c Arborio rice
2½c low-sodium chicken broth, plus _c (if needed, to add moisture to rice)
- 2 medium tomatoes, diced
¼t saffron threads
- 1 canned piquillo pepper, cut into thin strips
½c cilantro, coarsely chopped
In a medium bowl, whisk lime juice, cilantro, 2T olive oil, lime peel, thyme, jalapeño, paprika, fresh ground pepper, cumin, sea salt, and allspice for the marinade.
- Place chicken and marinade in a large resealable plastic bag. Turn several times to coat chicken. Refrigerate at least 4 hours up to 24 hours.
- When ready to cook, heat 1T of the olive oil in heavy, large, wide pot over medium heat.
Add chorizo and sauté until brown and fat begins to render, about 3 minutes.
- Using slotted spoon, transfer chorizo to a medium bowl.
- In the pressure cooker, set to "sear" and add half of the chicken, skin-side down. Cook until brown, about 5 minutes per side.
Remove chicken and transfer to plate; set aside.
- Repeat with remaining chicken thighs.
Pour off all but 3T of fat from the pressure cooker, discarding the excess fat. Add onions and sauté for 4 minutes, scraping up any browned bits.
Add bell pepper and garlic and sauté until onions are translucent, about 2 minutes.
- Mix in Arborio rice, stirring to blend with vegetables.
- Add broth, tomatoes (with any juice), saffron, and reserved marinade. Bring up to a boil. Stir well.
- Return chicken, add chorizo, and any accumulated juices to cooker, pressing chicken partially into rice.
- Set to "sear" and adjust for 15 minutes.
- Arrange piquillo pepper strips over chicken, cover, and continue to simmer for 10 minutes until chicken is cooked and rice is tender. Add additional broth to keep rice moist, if needed.
- Serve in large shallow bowl with cilantro and lime wedges.