Roast Goose with Caramelized Apples
- 1 13-lb. goose, giblets and neck discarded
- sea salt to taste
- fresh ground black pepper to taste
- 3 cloves garlic thinly sliced
- 8 Gala apples, peeled, each cut into 6 wedges
- ¼ c fresh lemon juice
- 6 T sugar
- ¼ c Calvados
- 1½ t ground cinnamon
Rinse goose inside and out; pat dry with paper towels. Sprinkle inside and out with salt and pepper. Using knife, cut small slits all over goose; place garlic slices into slits. Place the bird in center of enamel roasting pan. Insert the probe into the thickest part of the breast and set to 165°F.
- Preheat Bravo to 375°F. Cook until internal temperature 165°F.
Meanwhile as the goose roast, prepare the apples toss apples and lemon juice in large bowl. Pour 6T goose fat from pan drippings. Into 10-inch nonstick round roasting pan. Add sugar, Calvados and cinnamon to apples; toss. Arrange apples around the goose and bake with goose until very tender and golden, about 1 hour.
- Remove the birds from the roasting pan, loosely tent with foil and let rest 10 minutes before carving serve with caramelized apples. Serve.