Roasted Cinnamon Squab with Lentils
- 4 (1-lb) squab (room temperature)
- 4 T maple syrup
- 2 t ground cinnamon
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 t cumin seeds
- 1 t coriander seeds
- 1 T olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 1 lb canned lentils, drained and rinsed
- 1 T unsalted butter
- 2 T fresh parsley, chopped
- Fresh ground pepper
- Steamed broccoli or green beans
- Mix maple syrup, cinnamon, and vegetable oil together in a small bowl. Brush over squab.
- Place birds in enamel roasting pan. Insert Probe into thickest part of breast and set to 165°F.
Preheat Bravo to 360°F. Place squab in Bravo. Cook until an internal temperature 165°F is reached.
- When done, remove birds from oven. Loosely tent with foil. Let rest 10 min.
While squab rests, heat nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add cumin and coriander seeds. Cook, turning until fragrant. Tip into a mortar and finely crush with the pestle.
Heat olive oil in a skillet over low heat. Add garlic and spices and cook for 1-2 min., stirring constantly. Add the lentils and cook for 10-15 min, stirring occasionally.
To serve, divide lentils among 4 warmed serving plates. Add 1 squab to each plate. Pour sauce on top and sprinkle with parsley. Serve with steamed broccoli or green beans.