Stir-Fried Beef with Broccoli and Oyster Sauce
- 5 tablespoons oyster sauce
- 2 tablespoons chicken broth
- 1 tablespoon dry sherry
- 1 tablespoon packed light brown sugar
- 1 teaspoon toasted sesame oil
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
4½ teaspoons oil, divided
1¼ pounds broccoli florets, cut into 1-inch pieces, stalks peeled, sliced on the bias, and ⅛ inch thick
⅓ cups water
1 small red bell pepper, stemmed seeds removed, cut into ¼-inch pieces
3 scallions, sliced thin and on the bias
1 pound flank steak, trimmed, sliced into 2-inch-long strips, each ⅛ inch thick
- 3 tablespoons soy sauce
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tablespoons vegetable oil, plus extra
- For the sauce, whisk all sauce ingredients together in a small bowl set aside.
- Combine beef and soy sauce in a medium bowl and let sit for at least 10 minutes or up to an hour, stirring once.
Combine garlic, ginger, and 1½ teaspoons oil in Wok, Heat Wok to 425°F, until it's just smoking.
- Add half of the beef in a single layer, breaking up clumps. Cook without stirring for 1 minute.
Stir and continue to cook until browned, about 30 more seconds. Transfer beef to bowl and repeat with an additional 1½ teaspoons oil and remaining beef.
Add 2 tablespoons vegetable oil to empty Wok and heat Wok to 425°F until it's just smoking. Add broccoli and cook for 30 seconds.
Add water, cover, and reduce heat to 275°F. Cook until broccoli is tender-crisp about 2 minutes. Do not overcook broccoli. Transfer to paper towel-lined plate.
Add remaining vegetable oil to Wok. Bring heat up to 425°F, until it's just smoking. Add bell pepper and cook, stirring frequently, for about 1½ minutes.
- Push bell pepper up the sides of the Wok. Add garlic mixture to center and cook for 15-20 seconds, mashing mixture in Wok. Stir garlic mixture into bell pepper.
- Return beef and broccoli to Wok and toss to combine.
- Whisk sauce to recombine and add to the Wok and cook. Stir constantly until sauce thickens and is evenly distributed, about 30 seconds.
- Transfer to platter and sprinkle with scallions.