Sweet and Sour Shrimp
- 11 ounces cooked jumbo shrimp (tiger prawns)
1 small head romaine lettuce
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon scallions, green parts only, finely chopped
- 2 teaspoons fresh ginger root, finely chopped
- 2 tablespoons light soy sauce
- 2 tablespoons soft light brown sugar
- 3 tablespoons rice vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Shaoxing rice wine
½ cup chicken or vegetable stock
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch paste
- Sesame oil (a few drops)
- Separate lettuce leaves and arrange them on a platter.
- Peel cooked shrimp and dry with paper towel, set aside.
For the sauce, heat Wok to 375°F. Add scallions and ginger. Toss to mix.
- Add soy sauce, sugar, rice vinegar, rice wine, and stock. Bring up to a boil.
- Add shrimp to the sauce and toss to coat. Cook the shrimp through.
- Thicken the sauce with cornstarch paste, stirring until smooth.
- Remove from heat, place on lettuce, and drizzle with sesame oil.