Ham and Potato Casserole
- 16oz. heavy whipping cream
- Sea Salt, to taste
- Freshly ground white pepper, to taste
- ⅛t nutmeg, or to taste
- 1 ham steak, 8oz., medium dice
- 2 large potatoes, peeled, medium dice
- 1 bunch green onion, thinly sliced
- 4oz. Swiss cheese, grated
- 1 can butter flavored shortening, or as needed
- 1 bag French’s® fried onions, optional, as needed
- Open the oven Door, insert the Grill/Griddle Rack into Position 2, and close the oven Door again. Press Menu and turn the Select dial to Menu Preset 57. Press START/PAUSE to begin preheating Stage 1 (Bake at 350˚F with 20% Rear Heat, 40% Top Heat, 40% Bottom Heat, and Fan Speed 1).
- While the oven is preheating, mix the heavy whipping cream with salt, white pepper, and nutmeg in a large bowl. Stir well, tasting as you go to adjust the seasoning if needed. Then, add the diced ham, potatoes, and green onions. Stir the mixture well and set it aside.
- Prepare a 9” X 5” glass baking dish by greasing the dish with the butter-flavored shortening. Ladle half of the ham and potato mixture into the glass dish, pressing down with a back of a spoon so the mixture is flat and even. Then sprinkle half of the Swiss cheese over it and top with the other half of the ham and potato mixture, again using the back of the spoon to make the mixture flat and even. Cover the dish with foil and place it onto the Baking Pan.
- Once the oven has preheated, it will beep twice, display “Ready”, countdown for 10 seconds and then beep once to give you time to place your food in the oven. Open oven Door and place the Baking Pan onto the Wire Rack in Position 2. Close the oven Door to begin Stage 1 for 15 minutes, after which the oven will beep 3 times.
- Open the oven Door and remove the Baking Pan, placing the hot pan on a suitable work surface. Switch the Wire Rack from Position 2 to Position 4 and close the oven Door to begin Stage 2 (Broil at 350˚F with 20% Rear Heat, 80% Top Heat, 0% Bottom Heat, and Fan Speed 3) for 15 minutes.
- Remove the foil from the casserole and sprinkle with the remaining Swiss cheese over the top.
- Open the oven Door and place the casserole onto the Grill/Griddle Rack in Position 4. Close the oven Door to begin cooking Stage 2 for 15 minutes, after which the oven will beep 3 times and display “END”.
- Transfer the baking dish from the oven to a trivet and allow it to cool for 5 minutes. Spoon it into a serving bowl and garnish it with French’s® fried onions and enjoy.