Basic White Sauce
Sauces, Jams & Condiments
- 3 tablespoons of butter
- 3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1 cup milk
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon white pepper
- Melt butter in thick-bottomed sauce pot over low- medium heat.
- Stir in flour to make roux.
Cook over low-medium heat, stirring constantly for 5 minutes. Do not allow roux to brown.
- Heat milk to boiling on medium-high heat.
- Stir milk into roux gradually, beating briskly until sauce is thickened and smooth.
Simmer for 4 minutes, stirring occasionally.
Keep sauce warm before serving by holding PIC on Low (100°F).