Braised Red Cabbage
- 1 medium onion, thinly sliced
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 8 ounces bacon, cut into 1x1-inch thick pieces
½ head red cabbage, cut in half, cored and thinly sliced
- 5 ounces chestnuts, peeled, roasted and roughly chopped
- 3 tablespoons red wine vinegar
¼ cup brown sugar or agave nectar
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 cup beef stock
- Kosher salt & butcher ground black pepper to taste
In 3.5-quart Stainless Steel Pot, add onions and cook on High (425°F).
Add bacon and butter; continue to cook until butter melts.
- Add cabbage, stirring constantly to incorporate.
- Add chestnuts.
- Season with salt and black pepper to taste.
- Add vinegar, sugar, bay leaves and beef stock.
Stir to incorporate; cover pot with Tempered Glass Lid.
Cook on High (425°F) for 15 minutes, or until cabbage is tender.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- This can be prepared the day before. Just bring back up to temperature on Medium (275°F) for 13 minutes, or until thoroughly heat through.
- Agave nectar is good for your glycemic index.