Beef Brisket with Merlot and Prunes
- 2½ lb. beef brisket (trimmed fat)
- sea salt, salt as needed
- fresh ground black pepper, as needed
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 8 oz. can diced tomatoes in juice (preferably fire-roasted)
- ½ c Merlot
- 1 lbs onions (sliced)
- 2 medium carrots (peeled, thinly sliced)
- 8 garlic cloves
- 1 c pitted large prunes
- 1 T chopped fresh thyme
- ¼ c plus 1 tablespoon prune juice
- 3 T balsamic vinegar
- 2 T chopped fresh Italian parsley
- Preheat Primo 400°F 50/50
Pat brisket dry season salt and pepper. Add brisket and cook until deep brown, about 10 minutes. Transfer brisket, fat side up, to 10-inch nonstick round roasting pan. Add tomatoes with juice and wine. Distribute onions, carrots, and garlic around brisket. Add prunes and thyme, drizzle with prune juice.
- Cover pan with heavy-duty foil set Primo to 325°F 50/50
- Braise brisket 2 hours to fork tender.
Remove brisket from roasting pan. Spoon off fat from top of pan juices. Place 1 cup vegetables (no prunes) and 1 cup braising liquid from pan into processor and puree. Return puree to pan.
Add remaining 1 tablespoon prune juice and 1 teaspoon vinegar to pan. Heat sauce; season with salt and pepper. Slice the brisket.
Overlap brisket slices onto a platter pour sauce over brisket. Sprinkle brisket with parsley and serve.