- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 T cumin seeds
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 bay leaf
- 2 t garlic, minced
1-1½ t ginger, minced
- 1 t garam masala
- 1 t turmeric
- 1 t cayenne pepper
- 2 tomatoes, small dice
- 3 c water
- 1 c whole lentils (soaked overnight)
- Cilantro (garnish)
Set pressure cooker to sear, add oil, adjust time to 10 min. and press start/stop. When hot, add cumin seeds, onions, and bay leaf. Sauté for about 5 minutes.
Add garlic, ginger, remaining spices, and tomatoes. Sauté for 5 minutes.
- Add lentils and water. Close and lock lid and set pressure cooker to soup, adjust time to 25 min. and press start/stop.
- When done, natural release for 15 min then do a quick release to make sure all pressure is released before opening lid.
- Carefully open lid and check seasonings. Add salt and pepper if needed. Add cilantro and stir. Serve.