Three Bean Soup
½ lb kidney beans, dried
½ lb white beans, dried
½ lb pinto beans, dried
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil
- 1 onion, small dice
- 1 bell pepper, small dice
- 2 celery stalks, small dice
- 2 carrots, peeled, small dice
- 4 gloves garlic, minced
- 1 t chili powder
- 1 t cumin
- 1 bay leaf
- 4 sprigs thyme
2-½ qts vegetable stock (or water)
- 1 (15-oz) can diced tomatoes, with liquid
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Scallions, thin slice (garnish)
- In a large bowl, rinse and drain all dried beans and set aside.
Set pressure cooker to "sear", press "start/stop", and add oil. Once oil is hot, add onion, bell pepper, celery, carrots, and garlic. Sauté until vegetables are slightly soft, about 5 minutes.
- Add rinsed beans, chili powder, cumin, bay leaf, thyme, and vegetable stock (or water).
- Close and lock lid. Set pressure cooker to "beans" and press "start/stop".
- Once done, allow pressure cooker to naturally release for 20-30 minutes, then do a quick release to ensure all pressure has been released before opening lid.
- Carefully open lid. Adjust seasoning as needed. Remove bay leaf and thyme and stir in tomatoes.
- Ladle into serving bowls and garnish with scallions.