Bacalao a la Veracruzana
- 2 lbs salted dry cod
- Water, enough to cover cod
- 2 lbs ripe tomatoes, charred
¼ c olive oil
- 1 onion, large, small dice
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 red bell peppers, julienne
⅓ c raisins
¾ c green olives, rough chop
- 2 T capers, rinsed
1-½ t oregano, dried
- 6 pepperoncini peppers, whole
- 1 lb baby potatoes, peeled, boiled, and quartered
- 1 c parsley, rough chop
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Soak cod for 6-8 hrs. Change the water every 2 hrs to eliminate the saltiness. After soaking, place cod in pressure cooker and cover with water.
- Close and lock lid. Set pressure cooker to "fish", adjust for 4 minutes, and press "start/stop".
When done, quick release and make sure all pressure is released before opening lid. Carefully open lid and remove fish. Reserve 2c liquid; discard the rest. Shred the fish; set aside.
Place charred ripe tomatoes in a blender and pulse to break up to desired consistency; set aside.
- Set pressure cooker to "sear", adjust time to 10 minutes, add oil, and press "start/stop". When hot, add onions, garlic, and red bell peppers. Cook until onions are soft. Add pureed tomatoes, raisins, green olives, capers, oregano, pepperoncini peppers, potatoes, sea salt, ground black pepper, and return shredded fish to cooker.
- Close and lock lid, set pressure cooker to "fish", adjust time to 4 minutes, and press "start/stop". When done, quick release and make sure all pressure is released before opening lid. Carefully open lid and check seasoning and add salt and pepper, if needed. Ladle into serving dishes and top with parsley.
Serve with tostadas. Fish can be served warm or cold.