Braised Beef Brisket
- 1 (4-5 lb) brisket, excess fat trimmed, cut in half
1 t sea salt
1 t garlic powder
½ t freshly ground black pepper
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil, divided
- 2 red onions, peeled, cut into rings
- 2 c fresh mushrooms, each quartered
1 (18.5-oz) can French onion soup
1 (14-oz) can stewed cherry tomatoes
¼ c sun-dried tomatoes, each sliced
1 c red wine
1 large bunch fresh thyme (about 20, small stems), plus extra (for garnish)
4 large carrots, peeled, cut into chunks
¼ c fresh parsley, chopped (for garnish)
- Program the Duet for combo cooking: Press “COMBO COOKING”. “pressure cook” will be displayed. Press “PRESSURE” then press “SEAR”. Press “TIME” and set for 9 min. Press “PRESSURE” and set to high. Press “TIME” and set for 1 hour, 20 minutes. Press “COMBO COOK” a second time. “air fry” will be displayed. Set temperature to 400°F. Press “TIME” and set for 15 min. Press “PRESSURE” then press “SEAR” and set time for 30 min. Now the Duet is programmed for combo cooking.
- Press “START/PAUSE” to begin to sear. Allow to preheat (in sear function) for 5 minutes.
- In a bowl, stir together salt, garlic, and pepper. Brush brisket with 1t of olive oil and season both sides generously with spice mixture. Add remaining oil to the pot and sear each piece of brisket one at a time on both sides, about 2 min. per side. Set seared meat aside on a clean plate.
- Add onions and mushrooms to the pot. Place seared brisket on top and add onion soup, stewed tomatoes, sun-dried tomatoes, wine, thyme, and carrots. Stir gently to combine.
- Place on Duet Pressure Cooker Lid. Make sure the pressure release valve is in the “CLOSE” position. Press “START/PAUSE” to begin pressure cooking.
- When done, quick release pressure by moving the pressure release valve to the “OPEN” position. Carefully remove Pressure Cooker Lid when Duet has finished releasing all pressure. The meat should be fork-tender. Fork will insert easily but the meat will not fall apart.
- Allow the meat to rest in the cooking liquid for 30 minutes, then skim the excess fat from the top.
- Discard the fat and remove cooked brisket from the cooking liquid. Set on a clean plate.
- Insert the reversible rack into the pot, making sure rack is in the higher position. Place brisket on rack. Place on Duet Air Fryer Lid. Press “START/PAUSE” to begin to cook for 15 minutes.
- When done, remove the rack with brisket. Set on a heatproof surface and allow to rest at room temperature. Tent with foil.
- While meat rests, press “START/PAUSE” and simmer liquid left in the pot for about 20-30 min. or until liquid is reduced by half.
- Before serving, slice brisket into ¼-inch-thick slices, against the grain. Pour hot juices from pot over brisket. Serve with juices (liquid from pot) and vegetables. Garnish with parsley and thyme.