2 pie crusts, 1 for bottom and sides,1 for top crust (See "Homemade Pie Crust" recipe)
- 2½ c sour cherries, pitted
- 2 c sweet cherries, fresh, pitted (canned or frozen and thawed)
- 1 c cherries, dried
- ¾ c sugar, granulated
- 2½ T quick cooking tapioca
- 1½ T cornstarch
- ½ t nutmeg, ground
- 1 t pure almond extract
- 1 t pure vanilla extract
- 1 T butter, salted
- 2 T milk
- 2 T sugar, granulated (for garnish)
Preheat the oven to 375°F. In a medium saucepan, add all cherries, sugar, tapioca, cornstarch, and nutmeg. Stir with a wooden spoon to combine. Cook over medium-high heat, stirring constantly until mixture is thickened is boiling. Remove from heat and stir in almond and vanilla extracts.
- Pour filling into bottom pie dough (crust shell). Leave top dough (crust) in fridge. Dot the surface of the cherry pie filling with small pea-sized pieces of butter. Remove top dough (crust) from fridge. Roll out dough to top pie. Place on pie and crimp the edges of dough.
- Using a pastry brush, gently brush crust with milk. Sprinkle evenly with remaining 2 T of sugar.
- Put pie on a baking sheet (to catch any drips) and place in oven. Bake for 60-65 min. Pie is done when crust is golden brown and filling is bubbling.
- Remove from oven and cool completely on a wire rack for at least 2 hours before slicing.