- 3 vanilla beans, split and scrapped (or 1 tablespoon vanilla extract)
- 1 quart milk or half and half
- 16 egg yolks
- ¾ cup sugar
- Set Skillet to 190ºF and add milk with vanilla. This will be just below a simmer.
- In a separate bowl, whip yolks and sugar together until pale and foamy.
- Unplug the skillet and temper yolk mixture by slowly adding hot milk to the egg mixture.
- Return egg/milk mixture back into the Skillet with the remaining milk in the Skillet.
- Set Skillet to 225ºF and using a thermometer, bring milk temperature to 175ºF stirring constantly.
- Pour mixture into 4-ounce ramekins and fill to top.
- Wipe skillet out and add water to make sure there is 2½ inches of water in the Skillet. Set Skillet to 220ºF.
- Place ramekins into Skillet.
- Cover with lid and cook for 2½ hours or until they are set.
Sprinkle sugar on the top and broil in the oven for a couple minutes to give a finishing touch.