French Onion Soup
- 6 T butter, unsalted, divided
3 lbs yellow onion,¼-to ½-inch julienne
½ t baking soda
½ c dry sherry
- 2 qts chicken stock
- 1 t apple cider vinegar
- 1 t fish sauce
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 8 slices bread
- 1 clove garlic, minced
1 lb Gruyére cheese, grated
- Set pressure cooker to "sear", adjust time to 15 minutes, press "start/stop", and add 4T butter. When melted, add onions and baking soda. Cook onions until caramelized and dark brown, about 10-15 minutes.
- When onions are done and brown, add sherry and deglaze pot until alcohol is cooked off, about 3-4 minutes.
- Add chicken stock, apple cider vinegar, fish sauce, thyme sprigs, and bay leaf. Continue simmering.
- While cooking, spread butter on bread slices. Sprinkle garlic on one side of each. Place bread in oven rack and toast bread.
- When soup is done, remove bay leaf. Ladle soup into serving bowls. Place one slice toasted bread in soup.
Sprinkle Gruyére on top of bread. Place bowls of soup in a very hot oven to melt and brown cheese. Serve.