Short Rib Stew
- 2 T extra-virgin olive oil (plus extra 1 T)
- 3 lbs beef short ribs
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- 4 carrots, 2-inch pieces
- 2 onions, wedged
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 4 sprigs fresh thyme
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 T tomato paste
- 3 c beef stock
- 4 t cornstarch, plus 3 T cold water (optional)
Pat ribs dry and season with salt and pepper; set aside.
Set pressure cooker to "sear", add oil, adjust time to 15 minutes, and press "start/stop". When hot, season short ribs with sea salt and freshly ground black pepper. Brown on all sides. Remove ribs; set aside.
If needed, add extra 1T oil. Add carrots, onions, and garlic. Sauté 3 minutes.
- Add thyme sprigs, bay leaf, tomato paste, and beef stock.
- Return short ribs to cooker and close and lock lid. Set pressure cooker to "meat/stew", adjust time to 25 minutes, and press "start/stop".
- When done, quick release and make sure all pressure is released before opening lid.
- Carefully open lid. Check seasonings and add salt and pepper, if needed. Serve stew with mashed potatoes.