Spicy Indian Dal
- 1 2-inch piece of ginger, peeled, finely chopped
- 6 garlic cloves
- 1 large onion, finely chopped
- 1-2T canola oil
- 1t black mustard seeds
- 3 small, dried red chilies, split
- 1t coriander seeds
- 1t cumin seeds
- 2c chana dal, yellow lentils rinsed thoroughly and sorted
- 6c vegetable broth
1½t sea salt
- 1t garam masala
- 1t turmeric
- 5oz fresh baby spinach, rinsed, drained well
- Plain Greek yogurt
- Cilantro, chopped
- Add ginger, garlic, and onion to a food processor. Pulse until mixture is pureed.
Set cooker to "sear" and add oil. When oil is hot, add in onion mixture, black mustard seeds, and red chili pieces. Sauté until the seeds begin to pop.
- Grind coriander seeds, cumin seeds, and fenugreek together in a spice grinder.
Add to pot and sauté 1-2 additional minutes.
- Add chana dal, broth, sea salt, garam masala, and turmeric.
- Close lid and lock. Set to "potato" and adjust for 5 minutes.
- When done, natural release for 35 minutes. Afterward, quick release until all pressure is released.
- Open. Add spinach and stir to combine.
- Serve over cooked basmati rice and garnish with a dollop of Greek yogurt. Sprinkle chopped cilantro on top.