Beef Tenderloin Crostini, Caramelized Onions Blue Cheese
- ½ French baguette, cut into ¼-inch-thick slices
- 4 T extra-virgin olive oil, plus extra for brushing
- Sea salt to taste
- Fresh ground pepper
- 1 yellow onion, thinly sliced
- ½ lb. beef tenderloin
- ½ c crumbled blue cheese
- ¼ c crème fraîche
Leaves from fresh herb sprigs: thyme or parsley, (optional for garnish)
Arrange baguette slices in a single layer in enamel baking pan. Brush tops lightly with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Place on cooking rack in position 3. Toast at 400°F for 4 min. or until light golden brown.
In a large sauté pan over medium heat, warm 2 T olive oil. Add onions and a large pinch of salt. Cook, stirring occasionally until onions are caramelized, about 20 min. Transfer onions to a bowl. Wipe out the baking pan after it has cooled.
- Generously season beef tenderloin on all sides with salt and pepper.
Spray enamel baking pan with cooking spray. Place tenderloin in pan. Place on cooking rack in position.
- Broil at 500°F (TOP only). Sear meat on all sides until browned, about 2 min per side. Remove with pan.
Insert probe into meat and set to 120°F for medium-rare. Place on cooking rack in position 3. Set Bravo to bake at 400°F.
- When done, remove and cover with aluminum foil.
While beef tenderloin is resting, in a small bowl, stir together blue cheese and crème fraîche.
Slice beef tenderloin very thinly against the grain. Spread 2t of the blue cheese mixture on each baguette slice. Top with 1t of caramelized onions and top with slice of steak. Sprinkle with salt and pepper and garnish with herb leaves.